20060606

Water (White)

Ran up to A's cabin in Vermont for a weekend of whitewater canoeing. Since you're guaranteed to get wet, it doesn't really matter if it's raining. In fact, it helps. The White River is usually kind of boring, but at flood stage it is littered with a bunch of Class II/II+ rapids. In a commercial raft, these would make me yawn. When I'm piloting the boat and have to pick the line, it's another matter entirely. Fun, fun, fun. Even a sedate river is a terribly powerful thing. You can't possibly out-strength it, so you have to out-think it. Is this the beginning of yet another sport for me? We'll have to see how much basement space the new house has.

3 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, June 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried kayaking?
-Kristin

 
At 9:19 AM, June 07, 2006, Blogger wolftone said...

Yup. I'm a better canoer than kayaker, so I'm starting that way. But all the cool kids run the froth in a tiny little kayak, so it's inevitable that I'll end up there.

 
At 9:35 AM, June 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I canoed a lot of whitewater when I was a teenager all over the southeast (up to class IV), and have stupidly gone over a class V in a funyak.

I took some kayaking lessons a couple of years ago and had a good time with that as well, but I enjoy running the river as opposed to surfing and playing in one set of rapids all day.

I think I prefer the kayaking, but it has been awhile since I have been in a canoe on whitewater. If you are looking for people to hit the water with, let us know.
-Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home