20060530

48*4000

2006-05-30-071-liberty-karl-42006-05-30-072-liberty-karl-8

I had intended to complete the New Hampshire 4000 foot peak list with champagne, celebration, and fanfare last foliage season. October would have been exactly 48 months since I started counting in November 2001. One peak per month. Perfect. Nature had other plans for me, eliminating last autumn's color in a wash of constant rain.

Instead, I finished Flume and Liberty this weekend almost accidentally. After bailing on Plan A due to a closed Jefferson Notch Road, I found myself scaling the steep and wet Flume slide. Rather than the large, boisterous party group I had envisioned for my 48th, the pack consisted of only Kaya and Dr. Sunflare. Good thing too, as Flume Slide is not a place for anyone who lacks a basic bag of rock climbing moves. A few scraped knees and dozens of blackfly bites later, we summited Liberty with little fanfare. No champagne, no cheers, and no ceremonial burning of my tattered Franconia Notch trail map. Just the three of us facing into the wind. Appropriate, since that's how we started.

The next goal is to get Kaya and Dr Sunflare over the Northern Presidentials so they can finish their 48. After that, we're free at last. A hiker's relationship with the 48 list changes throughout the process. In the beginning, it's a helpful tool to prevent repeating adventures. At the middle, it motivates you into less-accessible places. At the very end, it feels like a straitjacket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home